Tuesday 5 January 2010

Taylor's 2 year checkup

I'm exhausted so posting a quick update for Taylor's appointment, then I'm cleaning the kitchen and going to BED!

First mistake was that it was nap time (I didn't get a choice for appointment times), second was that she hadn't had lunch yet. Third wasn't really a mistake, but a misfortune.. while we were waiting for her appointment, there was a kid next door (which isn't actually separated by any doors) at the immunizations clinic getting shots and he was screaming his head off which freaked Taylor out. She kept saying "Baby, Owie".

So they call us back, and she follows me into the hallway, the door shuts behind her and she stops dead in her tracks. She absolutely refuses to go any further. So I go pick her up and she starts screaming at the top of her lungs, I mean SCREAMING. I've never heard this child scream so loud and I've heard her scream pretty loud. She was completely red, only stopping to take a deep breath so she could scream some more. She screamed while we weighed her, screamed while she was measured in length and when they went to do her head measurement not only was she screaming, but she was trying to hit me and kick the nurses at the same time. Talk about embarrassed! It took all 3 of us to hold her down and get her head measured.

So, her stats:

Weight: 23.7 lbs (3%)
Height: 33" (25%)
Head Circ: 48.5cm (75%)

So, she's still small with a big head! Doc isn't concerned about her being small since she's always been that way, she's pretty much stayed under 10% since she was born. When the Doc came in she hadn't looked at the chart yet and she asked if she was there for her 12 month... I thought geez.. is she really THAT small????

Anyhoo, Taylor continued to scream as loud as she could anytime she was even looked at, and even louder when she was touched in any way, shape, or form. In the end, she checked out fantastic. She's very advanced for her age both physically, and verbally! They are expected to know approximately 35 words by the time they are 2 and she knows probably closer to 300 (we started writing them down, but stopped around 250 and that was a couple months ago!).

She didn't need any shots today which I was relieved and kind of irritated about because I know the last ones she got were early since she wasn't suppose to have any more until she was 2. They don't seem to communicate very well there, or actually look at dates. By the time we left there I was physically and emotionally drained.

She was pretty much a crab the rest of the day. She kept telling me all afternoon "Doctor, ears, baby, owie" which translates to the Doctor looked in her ears, and gave the baby an owie. I'm sure that hearing the baby cry is what freaked her out.

Carson's 4 month appointment is tomorrow morning at 7:50 (oh joy) so I'll post an update about how that went!

No comments: