Sunday, 2 November 2008

What a week!!

It started off all fine and dandy with Monday, nothing exciting, just hung around the house, ran a couple of errands and so on and so forth. Then came Tuesday.

We got up at 5am so Taylor, Holden and I could hit the road and take Holden for his surgery in Dallas. His appointment was at 9:45 for the consult, and surgery following, and Dallas is a good 3 to 3.5 hours away so we had to leave early. We made it with 10 minutes to spare. Taylor slept for a little bit in the car so that helped.

The good news was that the orthopedic surgeon checked out Holden and said that he didn't think he needed both shoulders done. Just the right side which was the one exhibiting the symptoms. He said he would take x-rays again just to be sure and he would let me know. So we signed our consent forms, left our deposit and headed over to the outlets to see if we could start a little Christmas shopping.

After about an hour Taylor was getting fussy and I was getting hungry (I fed her while we were in the parking lot at the surgery center) so we went off to find some lunch. While I was looking for a place she fell asleep. I ended up going to a place called Souper Salad (which is like a Sweet Tomatoes, or a Souplantation). I left her in her bucket and brought her in with me still sleeping.
About half way through lunch she woke up and she felt hot so I took off her sweater and left her in her onesie and sweat pants to cool off.

After I finished I fed her some more food and then we went back to the outlets for a while. They doctor called about then to say that they only had to do one shoulder and that we could pick him up in a few hours. Taylor was very subdued and she still felt warm, but was generally acting okay. We made it back to pick up Holden at 4:45, and by then she was really fussy and still hot. She was throwing an absolute fit in the waiting room, which is very unlike her. I was getting concerned that she was still warm and took off her sweat pants and left her in her onesie.

We got back down to the car, loaded up Holden and headed home. Unfortunately we hit all the 5 pm traffic in Dallas and it took us about 5 hours to get back. By the last hour, Holden's pain meds had begun to wear off and every time I would hit a big bump he would yelp which would scare Taylor (who was in and out of sleep) and she would scream for 10 minutes. Just when she would finally calm down I'd hit another bump and we'd start all over again. I was SO glad to get home!

When we got back Taylor was asleep again so I put her in her crib but she only slept for a short time before waking up fussy. She wouldn't go back to sleep so I ended up letting her sleep with us just so we could get an hour or two of shut-eye. At 5 AM I woke up with her close to me and she was on fire. I grabbed a thermometer and took her temp and it was 103.6 so we headed to the emergency room.

Once we got there, the triage nurse took her temp again which was at 104.3 that time. They admitted her and then ran all sorts of blood work, took x-rays, got a urine sample. It was really miserable. She does not like getting her blood drawn, and she doesn't have very good veins (like her mama), so after only getting a very small amount they ended up having to prick her thumb for the rest. All the tests came back normal so they told me to continue alternating motrin and tylenol and have her checked by the pedes clinic on base on Thursday.

Her fever fluctuated from 101 to a max of 104.5 on Wednesday. At the high point I was very worreid and put her in a tepid bath and called the nurse on base. She said to monitor for signs of distress, otherwise keep doing what I was doing. Taylor wouldn't let me leave her side even for a second, she was like another appendage all week. Although it's getting a little better now (but not much).

Thursday we went in to the pediatric clinic and the doctor ordered more blood work and wanted us to stay there until she had results. Again, they couldn't get blood so they had to prick another finger. Taylor was absolutely screaming. I feel so bad for her when I can't do anything to help. She ended up falling asleep (probably from exhaustion) while we were waiting for the doc to come back. When she did, she said the blood results showed it was most likely a virus. She said she was the right age for Roseola, and that the fever should break in a day or so, and when it does to not be surprised if a rash shows up all over her body.

Thursday night she still had a fever and wasn't sleeping. Not anywhere except on my chest anyway. We both slept on the couch Thursday and Friday, it seemed the only place we could get comfortable. The one thing that's nice about her being sick is that she cuddles with me! She's just not really a cuddly baby, and to have her snuggle up next to me to go to sleep just melts my heart. I wish it was under better circumstances though!

Friday her fever finally broke, she was still fussy, but seemed well enough to take out trick or treating around the block. We just went to a few houses, told them we didn't need candy but we wanted to say Happy Halloween. She was the cutest little ladybug on the block.

Yesterday she seemed normal temperature wise, but she was fussy yet again, and when I gave her a bath I thought I saw what looked like a rash starting on her torso. She went to bed and actually slept through the night (well until 6 this morning...and then went back to sleep until 9!!)

Today she was fussy again, whining, crying, temper tantrums, the works. I noticed she had a bit of a rash on her face so I took off her jammies, there it was, a rash all over her torso, a little on her arms, not so much on her legs. It's not suppose to itch or anything, but it looks horrible. I took pictures but I can't get them off my camera this second so I'll try and post pics up tomorrow of stuff when I can get to the other computer.

The rash should clear up in a day or two and she'll hopefully be back to normal. She also has another tooth getting ready to pop through so I'm sure that's not helping her overall demeanor. It's been a rough week for everybody!

Drew has one more week of ALS left, and I'll be glad when he's done. Between having to give him time and space to do homework, deal with a pup that has to be kenneled and can't go out except on a leash, and a sick/fussy baby girl, it's been a looooong week!

Alright, i'm off to bed, I will undoubtedly be up in another hour with a little one so I should sleep when I can. G'night!

No comments: