Friday, 18 January 2008

So traumatic!

We had our two week check up today for Taylor! So far I'm less than impressed by the base pediatric unit, I think I might check and see if we HAVE to use them, or if we can get authorized for an off base pediatrician.

We went in, and the nurse called us back. We had to strip Taylor so she can be weighed and measured, she was not happy about being naked. She weighed in at 7lb 15oz (a 13oz gain from Tuesday of last week, and 5oz above her birth weight, yay!) and she measured 19in.??? I told the nurse she was 20in. at birth and she of course said that the hospital must have measured her wrong. Okay lady!

We put Taylors diaper back on and wrapped her in a blanket, then the nurse took off down the hallway (literally..Drew and I were power walking to catch her) and into the smallest exam room ever where we waited 20 minutes for the doctor. She was getting fussy and impatient while we were waiting so I fed her. The doctor finally came in and did her exam. She has a small bump on the back of her head that we noticed on Tuesday, the Doc said it's a lymph node and completely normal, it should shrink back down on its own. Also her left eye is a bit weepy and it's a clogged tear duct that should also clear up on it's own by the time she is one. She is otherwise perfect and right on track developmentally.

Next we had to go down to the lab to get her PKU test done which requires a heel stick for 4 big drops of blood. Of course all the excitement of her exam and a full belly made Taylor very sleepy so by the time we got downstairs she was passed out in my arms. They had us put a heel warmer on her foot and then 10 minutes later called us back. She was still sleeping and I had to lay her on her belly so they could poke her with a big lancet in the heel! I felt like such a horrible Mom to let them abuse my poor sleeping baby like this! She was poked and there was a few second delay before she started screaming.. luckily the blood drops were coming pretty good and it was done quickly. As soon as I had her in my arms again she was back asleep and slept the whole way home.

So all looks well, and her next appointment is her 8 week checkup. I thought it was 6 weeks, but it's not until 8. So the bad news is it looks like its going to be an additional 2 weeks before we can make it back to CA. Drew also had a PT test in March so he's going to see if he can take it in that first few days so we can leave as soon as we get the all clear from the doc.

My appointment is on Monday and I'll let you know how it's going. I did manage to get into my pre-pregnancy jeans yesterday so that makes me happy!!

No comments: