Thursday 13 August 2009

Hand Foot & Mouth Disease

So after the fever broke Tuesday morning I noticed she had a rash on her feet and in the pit of her arm. She still had it on Wednesday so I kept her home from music class and called to schedule her a doc appointment, this morning was the soonest they could get her in.

Sure enough she has Hand, Foot & Mouth Disease, though luckily it seems to be fairly mild as far as symptoms. There were no noticeable blisters in, or around her mouth, and while her feet have gone from a flat rash to having some raised blisters and she's gotten a few on her hands as well it's not as bad as I've seen in a lot of the photos.

I had heard that it was really bad for newborns, but the doctor said that it's no worse than any other virus and the only one they really worry about in pregnant women is Fifth's Disease which this is not. I googled the CDC website so here's the link for what they have to say:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/enterovirus/hfmd-qa.htm#8

As much as I'm ready to have this baby NOW from the pain, now I'm hoping he holds off another few days to give a little more time for Taylor to get better as apparently the first week is the most contagious. In the meantime I've been lysoling everything I can find and keeping Taylor's hands washed. I'm sure I've already gotten it at this point so I'm trying not to worry about it. We'll just have to keep a close eye on the baby when he gets here for symptoms.

How's that for fantastic timing?????

No comments: