Thursday 13 September 2007

Keeping you posted!

Yesterday I went to a Baby Basics class, apparently it was for the two of us, but I thought it was just for me! Drew has one in a couple of weeks though so he should get a repeat of most of the information. It was mostly about how to deal with newborns and how to comfort them, a bit about breastfeeding, safety, when you should call the doctor, and other things to expect. At the end we got a free diaper bag from Similac that had a bottle of formula (though I'm planning on breastfeeding, so hopefully it wont be needed!), some diaper rash creme, a 6 oz bottle, a pack of wipes, a sample of baby laundry detergent and a few other things for gifts! We also got the What to Expect the First Year book!

While I was there, the Dr. called Drew and said that they were going to re-run my blood from a couple of weeks ago and also to go down to the lab and they would draw some more for another test. I went this morning, and the lab tech used a butterfly catheter to get the blood, but it stopped flowing after a few seconds and it was just slowly dripping in and she wasn't entirely sure if there was enough. While my background is with animals and not people, I imagine that the basic rules apply to blood drawing and I know what can happen if we don't get a good sample. I felt bad because I didn't want to tell her how to do her job, but I told her that this was a really important test and I'd feel better if we could get a fresh, clean stick with a full tube. She didn't seem offended, and obliged. So, that's off to the lab, hopefully it wont take another 2 weeks to get results.

The level 2 ultrasound is tomorrow at 11:30, so I'm hoping everything looks good there. Our baby girl has been kicking me like crazy for 3 days straight, so it makes me feel comforted that she's healthy enough to be as active as she is.

Today was my last day of work, wahoo!!! No more having to avoid cats and feeling bad about not being able to do my job! I'll still see a few of my coworkers, two of them are taking me to see Wicked in London tomorrow evening, so that will be fun! The office got me a leather address book with all of their addresses already filled out so I can keep in touch, an a Cockney Rhyming Slang book, because one of the girls was always trying to teach me how to talk like that. So funny! I'm really going to miss them.

I'll update after the ultrasound tomorrow, hopefully they will be able to give us some answers right then!

No comments: