Monday 14 April 2008

Back from the doc!

We're back from our traumatizing morning at the pediatrician! Things started off well, we got her undressed to get her measurements which made her giggle. For some reason she thinks getting naked is the funniest thing ever, almost every time she gets her diaper changed she starts cracking up. The nurse got a kick out of this. Her stats:

Weight 12 lbs 3.5 oz - 50th percentile
Height: 25" - 97th percentile
Head: 40cm - 50th percentile

I'm assuming this is based on her actual age, not 2 months since this was her 2 month well baby checkup a month late. I didn't think to ask, but she wrote 3 months 1 week on the paper she wrote the stats down on. So, we've got a tall girl on our hands so far!

She checked out fine, she has a little bit of baby eczema on her cheeks. He said to apply 1% hydrocortisone lotion on them and it will help with the redness. I asked him about the flat spot on her head and he said that with the "Back to Sleep" campaign there is an increase in flat spots on babies, but that most of them are minor and would round itself out as she gets more mobile, just to keep doing what we are doing with rotating her each nap and bedtime, tummy time and activities that she holds her head up. He said that she still has a nice head shape, that it's "mostly round" and he's not concerned. That makes me feel better, but of course I'll still worry because that's what I do!

After that we went to the treatment room where she was to get 2 shots ( DTap-Hep B - IPV, and Pneumococcal Conjugate) and an oral vaccine (Rotavirus). She got the oral one first, and it tasted nasty. She was gagging and whining and it took FOREVER to give her the whole thing. She gave it one drop at a time to make sure she swallowed it all and it took her about 10 drops. That was the easy part! Then we put her on the her blankie on the table, and she got one shot in one thigh. She started screaming and tears were running down her face, my heart was breaking! I didn't think she could scream any louder and then she got the second shot in her other thigh and she REALLY started wailing! As soon as her band-aid was on I scooped her up and snuggled her and tried not to cry. She only cried for a couple minutes but she was still sniffling and whimpering. They already had somebody else waiting their turn for vaccines so I had to quickly get her dressed and get out of the room. I gave her her pacifier to help keep her occupied and she was asleep by the time we got to the car, poor babe! She was also due for her HIB shot but they were out of it so I have to call twice a week until it comes in then take her back for more torture.

We got home and I gave her some tylenol. I changed her diaper and when she giggled she cried because she jerked her legs up and it hurt. She's currently wrapped up in her swaddleme blanket and taking her morning nap.

Here's a picture of her battle wounds with her first cool Spongebob Squarepants band-aids.

That's all for now! I'll update more this week.

1 comment:

Jennifer Magreevy said...

Poor thing! At least she's stylin' with Spongebob. :-) And I love her little chubby thighs!!!